Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The anklegina report

Part 1 - Hyde Park

Met up with Andrew at lunchtime today in Hyde Park. He ran there from UTS, I strolled down from Goulburn St, wolfing down my lunch on the way. When I arrived, he was chatting up this very cute young girl who was telling him a bit about the lord's work. Actually she was old and ugly and he was glad to have me arrive and strip off in front of him.

We threw a bunch, including:
  • short wristy backhands
  • short slow forehands
  • wide and low
  • pivot and throw
  • high grabs
  • throw and go
I have to say Andrew's throws were technically excellent. If he can do that in a game at worlds against a tough mark he'll be hitting people all over the field.

Next, we did 20 x 40m run-throughs at about 80%, with a little walk recovery between each one. This was reasonably tough, and I know I went lactic, but I am obviously not very running fit. He was generally a good 3m in front by the end, but I sort of kept up in the very last one. Total time taken = 7 minutes.

It was a pretty quick workout, about 40 minutes, but definitely worthwhile, and it’s much easier to find field space for this sort of thing in the middle of the day than at night or even in the morning. I’m going to try to do something most days, especially once my ankle is sweet again.

Part 2 – Nick the Physio’s office

I headed straight from the park to my physio appointment. He was a bit surprised to see me in running gear and I told him what I’d been doing, and again he was a bit surprised but my range of motion is still good, so he’s happy for me to keep progressing.

So I have the all clear to do some more running and hopping and light plyometric work. I told him I wanted to play Saturday week, he adjusted his thinking to possibly accommodate that. I might only be able to turn off my right foot when it comes to that, but I’m sure I can play in some capacity.

Only problem is, I’m supposed to do 1 day on, 1 day off, which doesn’t give me a lot of training days till next Saturday.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if I can jump in and correctly implement all of the playing structure that I’ve been expounding. I will be a hungry man, who wants to be my first victim of a layout point block?

No comments: