Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pulling

OK, so I have started to work on my pulling.

The quality of the pulling left a lot of room for improvement on the weekend at NUFL, and I think good pulling is worth 3 points a game, all other things being equal, so it's important that we dedicate a bit of effort to this.

I hope to see at least 4 of us putting some time into it, but the more the merrier - it will only improve other aspects of your throwing.

So, I'm a bit restricted at the moment, can't really do a proper run up and certainly not at pace, so I guess I'm losing as much as 10m from my pulling distance, but that doesn't mean I can't practise technique within those restrictions.

The ideal pull is one that reverse curves, it starts off as a slightly outside-in backhand, reasonably high in the air and then as it's coming down it stalls and turns into an inside out. Does anyone know what I mean?

I just did a search on the web, and there's _zero_ high level information about pulling, just chump musings. Disappointing.

Anyhow, I think the secret to getting that reverse curve pull is to impart extra wrist snap on the disc. A forehand pull is much more likely to go into reverse curve, and I speculate that that's because of the extra spin on a forehand pull. Anyway, I'll check it out next time I practise.

Also, although I'm practising pulling, I also see myself as marking a handler, not a receiver, at worlds, so I don't feel like I'm the ideal person to be pulling at worlds. I'd rather be a backup puller. The kind of people I see as our primary pullers are Matt, Jonno, Mike, Joel.

Also, I think the upper body work I am doing is going to help my pulling. When I'm fully fit, I'll take on you boys...

Love, Pottsy.

No comments: