Monday, April 7, 2008

Dolphin boy rides again

Hey boys,

So stage 1 of my recovery is working on my cardio-vascular system. Got the go-ahead from my physio on Friday to hit the pool (with a pull buoy – no kicking). So managed to get a swimming session in on Saturday, Sunday and yesterday. Already feeling stronger.

I’m lapping at under 60secs, but really hope to get that down to sub 48s when I’m allowed to kick, so I might aim for about 54s laps with pull buoy. Finished up my swim last night with a couple of “sprints” – did them in around 45s, which again is alright considering no kicking.

On Sunday, I was at the beach in Newcastle, and there was a pod of dolphins about 250m offshore, so I grabbed my pull buoy, waded through the small surf and headed out for a chat.

They were a bit shy, didn’t come super-close and I wasn’t really fast enough to keep up with them, but still I was swimming with them for around 20 minutes.

Of course, this was only a few kms from Stockton Beach where those d%ckheads are catching great whites off the beach, but I knew the dolphins would protect me. Their sonar clicking is pretty distinctive, I’m sure the sharks know what it means.

I thoroughly recommend trying to squeeze a swim into your weekly routine. It is invigorating and totally pumps you up. Even better if you can get in the ocean, avoid the chlorine, and be at one with nature.

See you dirty dingos tonight,

Pottsy.

No comments: