Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Brisbane Interval report 3

So this is the tough one, it was last time we did this building for Thong at clubs, and i feared it would be again.

40 x 50m sprints with 50m recoveries through to the end of the field, turn around and come on back.

I think this session is hard for a few reasons: 40 seems like a large number, after 15 you are hurting and it still seems like a long way to 40.
There are many more starts in this session and i think the starts are pretty heavy energy users.
As the length is pretty short I find i run faster (at a higher intensity) that i do for the 200s and the 100s.

Anyway today was no different - it was hard. Due to work Al couldn't hit this session so i had to do it alone. I ran 38 of the 40 50m sprints in less than 9 seconds, I started the next run through between the 34 and 39second mark. 8.5secs to run through 50m, about 17seconds to decelerate and run the next 45m, 5 seconds to walk the last 5m and get on the line, a couple of seconds to breath and off you go again.

I was really happy being able to keep the times consistent throughout the run. Having a watch was great inspiration as i refused to let the total time from the start of one run the start of the next run get up to 40secs. This was a great alternative to having a training partner to push me though and keep my speed up.

I did get out the old "come on Dingo!" a few times to myself during the high twenties and low thirties, i needed some inspiration. It was a real driving forcing to know that i wasn't just doing the run for myself, but for my team. I knew i would have to write about the run later today and I wanted to be able to say i worked hard and am helping to build our success 1 run through at a time.

We won't win our gold medal by looking good on paper and because we got a bronze last time. We'll win our gold medal by working bloody hard now for each other, and bringing all our strength, intelligence and determination to the games that we play together in 16 weeks time.

See you soon boys.

Mike

No comments: