Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Getting It Right

One of the problems with any type of training is knowing where your bodies limits are. Perpetually becoming injured not only hampers your preparation, it is also very frustrating. Watching your team play/train is like watching a slightly clad, sexy woman dance. The whole time she's making wanton movements, begging you to join in. You try to talk from the sideline, do what you can for the team, but its not the same.

After my recent ankle injury I was told to do a lot of balancing work, which then tied into more active hopping etc. So that's what I did, lots of balancing, on steps, gym balls, ankle boards. As soon as it got a bit better I started combining it with hopping, tuck jumps etc. Starting to feel good, started getting back on my local running track... maybe I'll be dancing again soon.

A couple of days later our Chilly pediatrist tells me I have tendonitis due to over use. Prognosis - another 2 weeks, no running, no hopping, no balance work. So I move onto the bike, stay at the gym and swim a little.

Lesson: Don't be in too much of a rush to go and join that siren. A well structured training regime, pushing hard on the days you plan too, then giving your body time to recover and appreciate the work you've done will pay dividends. More importantly it will present greater opportunities to score; it is a rookie error to rush in!

No comments: